Hi, neighbor! I’m very glad that you came to me with a question about the most common problems with the Honda Accord.
Honda Accord is recognized as one of the most dependable vehicles on the market. Over the years, millions of people have trusted this model for its comfort, reliability, and efficiency. However, like any other vehicle, Honda Accord has had its share of common issues.
Honda Accord owners may encounter problems such as: Transmission Issues, Vibration at Low Speeds, Brake and starter Problems and others, Airbag Recalls.
Here’s a rundown of some problems that Accord owners often encounter:
- Transmission Issues: Some older models (especially those from early 2000s) have been reported to experience transmission failures or issues shifting. This can involve rough shifting or the transmission slipping between gears.
- Starter Issues: Many Accord owners, especially of the 2013-2015 models, have faced issues with the starter. The car might need multiple attempts to start, or there might be a noticeable delay after turning the ignition.
- Brake Problems: There have been complaints of brake grinding, squealing, and increased stopping distances in some models, particularly those from 2008 and 2009.
- Excessive Oil Consumption: Some Accord models, particularly those with a V6 engine from the 2008-2012 period, might consume oil faster than expected, leading to frequent top-ups between regular oil changes.
- Infotainment Glitches: In the newer models equipped with touchscreen infotainment systems, some users have reported problems like the screen going blank, unresponsive touch inputs, and issues with Bluetooth connectivity.
- Power Window Failures: Power window regulators or motors sometimes fail, leading to the inability to raise or lower windows.
- Battery Drain Issues: Some models, especially around 2013, had problems where the battery would unexpectedly drain, often because of software issues or malfunctions with components that draw power while the car is off.
- Airbag Recalls: While not a breakdown, it’s important to note that certain Accords, like many other vehicles, were affected by the massive Takata airbag recall. The defective airbags could deploy with too much force, sending metal shards flying, a significant safety concern.
- Engine Problems: Rarely, there have been reports of engine stalling or failure, especially in 2008 models.
- Vibration at Low Speeds: Some 2015 and 2016 models experienced vibrations when the car was running between 1000 and 2000 RPMs, which was noticeable during idle and low speeds.
I recommend reading: How to properly care for the Accord body.
Prevention and Solutions:
It’s essential for Honda Accord owners to be proactive to prevent some of these issues:
- Stay updated with recalls and address them promptly.
- Follow the recommended maintenance schedule, paying particular attention to transmission fluid changes and checks.
- If noticing unusual sounds, behaviors, or dashboard lights, consult a mechanic or Honda dealership promptly.
- For infotainment issues, check for software updates or resets that might address the problem.
While the Honda Accord remains a top choice for many due to its reputation and overall quality, being aware of these potential issues can help owners address them early and ensure a long lifespan for their vehicle.
I advise you to read my new post: How to properly change brakes on a Honda Accord with your own hands
FAQ: Honda Accord Common Issues and Solutions
What are the most common transmission problems in Honda Accords?
- Honda Accords, especially models from the early 2000s, have been known to experience issues like rough shifting, slipping between gears, or even complete transmission failure.
Have there been starter problems with Honda Accords?
- Yes, particularly in the 2013-2015 models. Owners have reported requiring multiple attempts to start the car or experiencing a noticeable delay after turning the ignition.
Do Honda Accords have brake issues?
- Some Accords, particularly those from 2008 and 2009, have had complaints of brake grinding, squealing, and increased stopping distances.
Do Honda Accords consume oil excessively?
- Some models, especially those with V6 engines from 2008-2012, might consume oil at a faster rate than usual. This leads to frequent top-ups between regular oil changes.
Are there any known infotainment glitches in Honda Accords?
- In newer models equipped with touchscreen infotainment systems, there have been reports of the screen going blank, unresponsive touch inputs, and Bluetooth connectivity problems.
Do Honda Accords experience power window failures?
- Yes, some Accords have had issues with power window regulators or motors failing, making it impossible to raise or lower windows.
Are there battery drain issues in Honda Accords?
- Some models, especially those around 2013, have experienced unexpected battery drains, often due to software issues or malfunctioning components.
Were Honda Accords affected by the Takata airbag recall?
- Yes, certain Accord models were included in the massive Takata airbag recall. The defective airbags in these vehicles could deploy with excessive force, posing a safety risk.
Have there been reports of engine problems in Honda Accords?
- While rare, some reports, especially for the 2008 models, have highlighted issues of engine stalling or failure.
Do Honda Accords experience vibrations at low speeds?
- Some 2015 and 2016 models experienced vibrations noticeable during idle and at low speeds, especially when running between 1000 and 2000 RPMs.
If you are still looking at the Honda Accord, it is useful to know information about the 2024 engines.
These questions provide a quick overview of common issues and concerns with Honda Accords. Being aware of these can help potential and current owners make informed decisions regarding their vehicles.