Hello neighbor! I’m really glad you decided to change the transmission fluid and asked about how to properly service the automatic transmission on your Honda Accord. I’ll walk you through everything based on my experience as a mechanic. It’s good that you and I have already discussed the service schedule and you know what needs to be changed on your Accord and when.
What is the frequency (interval) of changing the transmission fluid in an automatic transmission? The frequency for replacing the transmission fluid in automatic transmissions can vary based on the make and model of the car, as well as the driving conditions.
Under normal driving conditions, it is recommended to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. However, in severe driving conditions such as towing or high-temperature driving, it may be necessary to change the fluid more frequently.
What transmission fluid to choose?
Make a beautiful table with the selection of transmission fluid for Honda Accord. In the table, indicate the generation (years of production of the model), engine name, the amount of fluid required, three popular brands in the US, the catalog number of each product, and the approximate cost in the US.
What tools and conditions are needed to replace the transmission fluid in a Honda Accord automatic transmission?
To replace the transmission fluid in a Honda Accord automatic transmission, you will need the following tools and materials:
- New transmission fluid (consult the owner’s manual to determine the correct type and amount)
- Drain pan
- Socket wrench set
- New transmission filter (if necessary)
- Transmission filter gasket (if necessary)
- Torque wrench
- Jack and jack stands
- Safety glasses and gloves
Write a step-by-step instruction for beginners on changing the transmission fluid in the automatic transmission of a Honda Accord.
Recommend reading with my new post: Replacement of brake pads and discs Honda Accord
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to change the transmission fluid in a Honda Accord automatic transmission:
- Warm up the engine: Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to warm up the transmission fluid. This will help the fluid flow more easily during the draining process.
- Raise the vehicle: Using a jack, lift the vehicle and place it on jack stands to allow access to the transmission pan.
- Drain the transmission fluid: Locate the transmission pan and remove the drain plug to allow the fluid to drain into the drain pan. Once the fluid has drained, replace the drain plug.
- Remove the transmission filter: If necessary, remove the bolts securing the transmission filter to the transmission. Carefully remove the old filter and replace it with the new one, making sure to align it properly.
- Replace the transmission pan gasket: If the gasket is damaged or worn, replace it with a new one.
- Refill the transmission fluid: Using a funnel, slowly pour the new transmission fluid into the transmission through the dipstick tube. Check the fluid level with the dipstick and add more fluid as necessary. Be sure to use the recommended amount of fluid specified in the owner’s manual.
- Torque the transmission pan bolts: Tighten the bolts securing the transmission pan to the transmission to the torque specifications provided in the owner’s manual.
- Lower the vehicle: Carefully lower the vehicle from the jack stands and remove the jack.
- Test drive the vehicle: Take the vehicle for a short test drive to ensure that the transmission is operating smoothly.
Neighbour! Did you know that spark plugs need to be replaced every 60,000 miles? Read my new guide to spark plug maintenance.
The process of changing the transmission fluid in a Honda Accord automatic transmission typically takes around 1-2 hours, depending on your level of experience and the condition of the transmission.
Great neighbor! Now you know how to change transmission oil on a Honda Odyssey yourself. If you have any questions, ask in the comments.